Here is an overview of the Photo-Folders plugin set of features.
This WordPress plugin was created by Olivier Ezratty, the author of the blog “Opinions Libres”.
This plugin adds a rich pictures management to WordPress users. It gives back pictures management independance to publishers. It fills a gap between picture sharing services (not well connected to blogs), Digital Assets Managers (not connected anymore, no touch support) or most WordPress plugins (usually very limited in scope and with a poor flexibility of pictures integration with posts).
The plugin enables the blog user to navigate through the publisher pictures albums and to embed them in posts through the use of many different publishing widgets. All of this works on touch based devices (tablets and smartphones running iOS and Android) as well as with mouse and keyboard on personal computers.
Key user features
Here are the user features from Photo-Folders:
- Pictures are organized in albums and groups of albums. Pictures can for example be organized first by year and then by eventor topics.
- A simple search feature which structures its results in people, albums, groups and picture technical features. It’s easy to find in which albums is a person or an object or location. For example, you can find all pictures containing a mention to “Joe” or the “Mary” in a given album. The search results are presented the same way as albums.
- Albums and search results sort by number of pictures, name or last picture date. You can find the most recent albums in a group or all groups.
- Navigation and full screen slideshow working on PC/Mac and on tablets with touch support to switch pictures or display mode.
- Wherever you are, you can use the current view url and send it to another user. Launching the url, he’ll find the plugin in the same situation you saved it, including when running a full screen slideshow.
- Moving through the browser navigation history.
- Many different pictures presentation modes: white or black background, pictures displayed in rows or columns layout, and also simple pictures lists.
- Graphical view of the camera and lenses used to shoot pictures. You can also sort pictures by shooting settings such as aperture, speed and iso setting.
- One RSS feed of new pusblished or updated albums.
- One opt-out feature enabling users to ask the administrator to remove one or several pictures from the site. It sends the admin an email with pointer and previews of the related pictures.
- Responsive design display which adapts dynamically to any screen size.
- Collaboration features enabling a user to select several pictures from an album or search result and to send it by email to another user. It can be used to indicate a choice of pictures to publish or print.
Now, let’s cover more traditional features:
- Downloading pictures from the current album, search result or picture selection, through a two-way process where the user provides his email. He then receives an email containing a link to a downloadble ZIP file containing the selected pictures.
- Progressive display of pictures to save network bandwidth. It has been tested on PC/Mac with album exceeding 1800 pictures.
- Social bookmarking of pictures and albums rÃ©seaux sociaux (Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest) and handling of Facebook comments for each picture.
- Support of Twitter Cards to display picture thumbnails when a link to one picture is tweeted. The same works when tweeting an url to an album, displaying the album’s thumbnail.
- Many keyboard accelerators to ease navigation when used on a PC or Macintosh.
Key administrative features
Here are the key admin features of Photo-Folders:
- Editorialization of TOP people to show up the list of people (or objects and locations) showcased in the albums managed by the plugin.
- A simple user interface that values pictures.
- A full-web application working on nearly any device, including tablets and smartphones. This is a web app that doesn’t require the user to download the application from an application store. The admin has full control on his published pictures without any risk of unwanted censorship.
- Uploading pictures can be done through multiple folders copy with FTP respecting the folders hierarchy. A PHP script is then used to feed the plugin database and generate pictures thumbnails. Scanning folders is recursive when albums contain subfolders.
- Update features for modifying, deleting, removing or replacing an album.
- Groups, albums and pictures renaming. The admin can easily correct a misspelled name across one or all albums. All these features are used within the plugin and the result is shown immediately.
- Sets of multiple pictures selection can be deleted, moved, copied on another album.
- Creation of many different pictures gallery widgets that the admin can embed easily in his own WordPress posts, or that can be integrated by any other user in his own web site.
- An automatic post creation in the WordPress blog containing a visually generated widget on the current pictures view. The widget can also be added at the beginning or end of any existing blog post the admin can select in a drop down list.
- Widget containing the list of last published or updated albums, to be usually integrated in the user’s WordPress theme sidebar.
- Automatic Sitemap generation with list of posts and picture albums.
- Various statistics of groups, albums and pictures viewing and many others.
Photo-Folders started on July 4th its user test on http://www.oezratty.net/wordpress/photos. It will start in private beta at the end of Summer 2014 for bloggers willing to integrate it in their web sites. It’s go-to-market is still undertemined.